I wanted to post a quick update of my plans over the next few months. This gives me some goals to meet and ensures any potential developers know where I’m headed next.
- 1.2.x release with streaming world. This should be out in the next week. I’m currently stomping bugs, updating docs, and testing everything I can.
- A few weeks break for Real Life work, as discussed a couple posts back.
- 1.3 begins. This will be another big release with an emphasis on Text & Translations, NPCs, Quest Foundations, Performance Review, and Mixing Custom/Procedural Assets.
Moving forwards, I will try and be more conscientious of other developers. This involves a few changes to how I think about the tools.
- Move to GitHub. I plan to do this as part of 1.2.x final release.
- Fewer breaking changes when possible. This involves thinking about the impact of any changes to upstream developers. Where possible, I will avoid sweeping changes and use [Obsolete] rather than simply remove old methods.
- Thinking about multi-player, multi-camera patterns. As much as possible, I will try to organise tools not to depend on a single-player, single-camera pattern.
- Improve code practices in general. This will be stuff like using Interfaces where appropriate and trying to make the code easier to understand.
Obviously there will be a changeover period where your upstream code will get clobbered by changes at my end, but I’m hoping that sometime after 1.3 you can start to have more confidence about importing changes into your fork.
As always, I’m open to suggestions and learning from others.