Live Builds have been updated to 0.10.12. This is another primarily bug-fix release, with one major new feature.
Class Questions (Numidium)
This is a feature from The Elder Scrolls 1: Arena that has carried over to other Bethesda games, including Daggerfall. Even the infamous G.O.A.T. in Fallout 3 is a variant of this system. During the class questions process, the player is presented with several ethical problems and a few alternate ways to resolve each situation. Each answer will weight player towards the Thief, Mage, and Warrior archetypes. Once the questions are completed, a class hopefully fitting your play style will be offered.
This UI is more than just an elaborate class selector. It provides hooks for the imagination to think about how you might roleplay your character once generated and plunked into the world. Thanks to Numidium, this feature is now fully implemented in Daggerfall Unity.
If you find it hard to see the darker portion of above animation on your device, Numidium created the following screenshot with false colours that make the archetypes easier to see. If you’ve played Skyrim, you might recognise these designs from the Thief, Mage, and Warrior Guardian Stones. It’s wonderful how the later versions of TES make little nods like this towards the earlier games.
New Release Schedule
I have a backlog of pull requests (pending changes) open on GitHub for review. Every change can take a lot of time to work through and test before merging into the monthly builds. This can mean simple fixes might take a few weeks to come out, or be held up while a larger change is still under review. Sometimes a change might get bumped to the following month just because there isn’t enough time to review it properly before end of current month.
Now so much of the game has been built out, I can’t see any reason to stick with a strictly monthly schedule. Rather than dropping a big release with many combined changes each month, I will start releasing new builds approximately weekly. If something minor is fixed, I’ll try to release a new build just for that change. This also has the benefit of making it easier to pin down new problems when the number of changes is fewer in each release.
On the Live Builds page, I will start retaining longer history of available builds rather than cycling out old builds once per month. If you encounter problems with a new build, you can roll back to the previous build until it’s fixed. I’m looking at retaining approximately 4-6 weeks of build history.
This also means a scaling back of the monthly blog updates. Unless something big is available to feature, I’ll use the forums to post incremental changes and save the blog for more interesting content. I will link future releases to change log as they’re posted to Live Builds page.
General Fixes & Improvements
The November builds have several other small fixes included.
- Allow mods to change wagon weight limit (AsesinoBlade)
- Fix opening quest log clearing residences from map (Nystul)
- Use classic formula for Masque of Clavicus (Numidium)
- Support for custom books is now stable (TheLacus)
- Fix player falling through floor when entering certain buildings while mounted (Hazelnut)
- Add console command “add_all_equip magicWeapons” to spawn all magic items for testing (Hazelnut)
- Make spawned weapons identified (Hazelnut)
- Fix issues wth replacement buildings (Hazelnut)
- Fix 1gp quest reward (Hazelnut)
- Fix rented rooms duration underflow (Pango)
- Use webm videos on Linux (Pango)
- Fix NullReferenceException in DaggerfallVidPlayerWindow.IsPlaying for loading screen (Pango)
- Fix comment displayed in text block for quest C0C00Y10 (Jay_H)
- Do not resist “caster only” self-cast spells, e.g. heals (Interkarma)
- Do not reflect spells from caster onto self (Interkarma)
- Fix Thieves Guild O0A0AL00 using local NPC for contact, causing a crash in some cases (Interkarma)